Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My battle with soda

I figured out quickly that one of my first challenges was going to be eliminating soda from my life.  The old Cristina used to start the day stopping at my favorite gas station and loading up with 32 oz of diet coke.  I was there so much that the attendant and manager gave me a birthday card one year.  Now one would think that 32 oz of soda would be more than enough for one day.  Nope, I used to drink at least two more of those.  WOW when I think about it that is on average 96 oz of soda on a daily basis.  My kidneys hurt just thinking about it.

I knew that eliminating the soda would help me get on the right track towards my goal.  How to do this?  How do I get rid of something that is such a routine.  Well the first thing I did was invest in a nice water jug (Nalgene) that holds 32 oz of water.  I push myself to drink one on the way to work, then drink another one in the morning, another in the afternoon and one in the evening.  That fulfills my goal of replacing the 96 oz of soda with water and then some.  I carry my jug with me everywhere I go.  I am constantly drinking water.  Guess what all those articles about the benefits of water where right.  I feel so much better.  The only drawback is my constant trips to the bathroom, but I can live with that it gives me a chance to stretch my legs.

I can't say it was easy.  The first few days were so hard.  I had the worst headaches.  But I kept on pushing and did not give in to the temptation of the dreaded diet coke. It made me realize how addicted I was to soda.



I can't say that I have not had any soda in the last month.  But the last time I had a diet coke, my husband was sure I was on some drug because I was so hyper.  I was bouncing off the walls.

So what if you are having the same problem?   Here are a few things that have helped me out:
  • Always have water with you
  • Do not keep sodas at home (I don't buy them for the house)
  • Crystal Light can quench the need to have something with taste.  They have the little packages that are convenient when you are on the go!
  • Indulge once in a while and splurge on a soda
  • Keep reminding yourself that the more water you drink the more toxins you are flushing out of your system
One step at a time right!

2 comments:

  1. Where does Miller Light fall in this equation??

    LOL, you're doing great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm baby steps, one bad habit at a time! I have cut back alot!

    ReplyDelete